Feb 12, 2020
Self-Love and What It Means.
What is self-love? Before a person is able to practice it, first we need to understand what it means.
Self-love is a state of appreciation for oneself that grows from actions that support our physical, psychological and spiritual growth. Self-love means having a high regard for your own well-being and happiness. Self-love means taking care of your own needs and not sacrificing your well-being to please others. Self-love means not settling for less than you deserve.
Self-love can mean something different for each person because we all have many different ways to take care of ourselves. Figuring out what self-love looks like for you as an individual is an important part of your mental health.
What does self-love mean to you? For starters it can mean:
- Talking to and about yourself with love.
- Prioritizing yourself.
- Giving yourself a break from self-judgment.
- Trusting yourself.
- Being true to yourself.
- Being nice to yourself.
- Setting healthy boundaries.
- Forgiving yourself when you aren’t being true or nice to yourself.
For many people, self-love is another way to say self-care. To practice self-care, we often need to go back to the basics and:
- Listen to our bodies.
- Take breaks from work and move/stretch.
- Put the phone down and connect to yourself or others, or do something creative.
- Eating healthily, but sometimes indulge in your favorite foods.
Self-love means accepting yourself as you are in this very moment for everything that you are. It means accepting your emotions for what they are and putting your physical, emotional and mental well-being first.
How and Why to Practice Self Love:
So now we know that self-love motivates you to make healthy choices in life. When you hold yourself in high esteem, you're more likely to choose things that nurture your well-being and serve you well. These things may be in the form of eating healthy, exercising or having healthy relationships.
Ways to practice self-love include:
- Becoming mindful. People who have more self-love tend to know what they think, feel, and want.
- Taking actions based on need rather than want. By staying focused on what you need, you turn away from automatic behavior patterns that get you into trouble, keep you stuck in the past, and lessen self-love.
- Practicing good self-care. You will love yourself more when you take better care of your basic needs. People high in self-love nourish themselves daily through healthy activities, like sound nutrition, exercise, proper sleep, intimacy, and healthy social interactions.
- Making room for healthy habits. Start truly caring for yourself by mirroring that in what you eat, how you exercise, and what you spend time doing. Do stuff, not to “get it done” or because you “have to,” but because you care about you.
Finally to practice self-love start by being kind, patient, gentle and compassionate to yourself, the way you would with someone else that you care about.
Other Sleep News to help you:
What is the relationship between depression and sleep?
Sleep and depression can affect each other. Being excessively tired can have a significant impact on a person's mental well-being, while someone experiencing depression may have trouble sleeping. -Medical News Today
Here's How Poor Sleep May Hurt Your Heart:
Not getting enough sleep is known to raise the risk of heart disease; now, a new study may have uncovered why a poor night's sleep is bad for your heart and blood vessels. -Live Science
Your use of this website, its content, and any products obtained through this website is at your own risk. This website, its content, and any products obtained through this website are provided on an “as is” basis, without any warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including warranties of merchantability, infringement of intellectual property, or fitness for any particular purposes. No warranty or representation is made with respect to the completeness, reliability, quality, or accuracy of this website or its content. This website, its content, and any products obtained through this website do not constitute medical treatment and is not a substitute for a medical examination or diagnosis. If you are dealing with a health condition check with your health care provider before using. This website may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn a commission on purchases made through such links. We may accept forms of advertising or sponsorships in connection with this website. There might also be paid topic insertions. We may accept and keep free products, services, and other forms of compensation from others.
You May Also Like
Duvet Covers (Single Size)
Do you already own one of our popular Gravity Weighted Blankets with microbeads and need additional removable covers for your weighted blanket? Now you can customize your sleep style with a brand-new weighted blanket cover from Gravity! These high-quality duvet covers come in all our classic colors as well as fresh new patterns and are guaranteed to revitalize any room.
Flannel Duvet Covers
The Modernist X Gravity Flannel Collection features super soft and cozy flannel duvet covers (100% cotton) in 3 new, custom-designed patterns made by Modernist's Ron Chereskin. This new Flannel collection is available for a limited time, so order while supplies last.