Jul 04, 2022
How Heavy Should a Weighted Blanket Be for a Child?
When you see your child grappling with sleep issues and unrelenting anxiety, it’s only natural to search high and low for a remedy to help them get relief. Rest is an important part of your little one’s day, and when they aren’t getting enough of it, the entire family tends to suffer.
While there are many sleep support products geared toward helping kids fall into a peaceful slumber, one gaining an increasing amount of traction is the beloved weighted blanket. Many parents swear by their ability to promote calmness in their children, regardless of whether they’re used before bed. But for children to achieve this soothing experience, parents must select the proper size blanket for their child.
How Heavy Should a Weighted Blanket Be for a Child?
When shopping for a child’s weighted blanket, one of the first questions all parents have is, “How heavy should my child’s weighted blanket be?” Weighted blankets for children come in various weights and sizes, with most falling somewhere between four to 15 pounds. These blankets are typically stuffed with glass beads or plastic poly pellets to give the blanket its extra heft, enabling it to mimic the feeling of being hugged.
As a general rule of thumb, parents should select a weighted blanket that is approximately 10 percent of their child’s body weight. For instance, if your child weighs 50 pounds, you’ll want to choose a blanket weighing five pounds or less. This weight range is considered ideal because it provides just enough weight to calm your child’s nervous system without making them feel claustrophobic or uncomfortably constricted.
Additionally, make sure you pay attention to the manufacturer’s age limits. Weighted blankets are not suitable for toddlers and infants, as the filler material may fall out and become a choking hazard.
The Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Children
- Transform Your Kids’ Sleep – Does your child toss and turn at night? While studies on the effects of weighted blankets on children are scarce, studies have shown that weighted blankets can improve the quality of sleep, helping the user fall asleep faster and decrease their restlessness during the night.
- Ease Symptoms of Anxiety – Children aren’t immune to stress and anxiety. According to Child Mind Institute, anxiety affects up to 30 percent of children at some point. Weighted blankets are known to provide a calming effect that may help ease your child’s anxiety symptoms.
- Reduce Nighttime Fears – Many kids fear the dark and going to bed at night. If a nightlight alone isn’t doing the trick, try a weighted blanket. Thanks to their ability to mimic a warm embrace, weighted blankets can help soothe and comfort your child at nighttime, lowering the chances of them ending up in your bed.
- May Help Reduce the Frequency of Meltdowns – Weighted blankets have long been a popular calming strategy for reducing meltdowns in children, particularly those on the autism spectrum. The blanket's weight is said to provide proprioceptive input, helping them regulate their emotional and behavioral responses to sensory overload.
What to Look for in a Weighted Blanket for Kids
Your child’s weight will be the single most important determining factor in choosing the best weighted blanket for them. But there are several other things you’ll want to keep in mind when purchasing a weighted blanket for your kiddo.
- Material: It’s important to remember that children have softer and more sensitive skin than adults. As a result, you’ll want to choose a weighted blanket made from high-quality fabrics that feel good against your child’s skin. Microfiber, cotton and flannel are a few kid-friendly options.
- Breathability: If your child sleeps hot or lives in a region with unbearably hot summers, consider a cooling weighted blanket. These temperature-regulating blankets are often made with moisture-wicking fabrics that keep your child cool and comfortable in warmer climates.
- Ease of Washing: Before you make the purchase for your child, you’ll want to know and learn how to wash a weighted blanket. Fortunately, many weighted blankets now come with a machine-washable cover, making spills and stains an absolute breeze.
Giving Your Child the Gift of a Calmer Night’s Sleep
If you’re looking for a natural way to help your child relax and sleep soundly at night, a weighted blanket is worth considering. These cozy blankets gently hug your child all night long, instilling them with a sense of comfort and calm.
While you’re on the hunt for a child’s weighted blanket, consider picking up a Gravity Weighted Blanket for yourself. Our best-selling blanket is made with top-quality materials and is the only blanket scientifically proven to give you a better night’s sleep!
Your use of this website, its content, and any products obtained through this website is at your own risk. This website, its content, and any products obtained through this website are provided on an “as is” basis, without any warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including warranties of merchantability, infringement of intellectual property, or fitness for any particular purposes. No warranty or representation is made with respect to the completeness, reliability, quality, or accuracy of this website or its content. This website, its content, and any products obtained through this website do not constitute medical treatment and is not a substitute for a medical examination or diagnosis. If you are dealing with a health condition check with your health care provider before using. This website may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn a commission on purchases made through such links. We may accept forms of advertising or sponsorships in connection with this website. There might also be paid topic insertions. We may accept and keep free products, services, and other forms of compensation from others.
You May Also Like
Duvet Covers (Single Size)
Do you already own one of our popular Gravity Weighted Blankets with microbeads and need additional removable covers for your weighted blanket? Now you can customize your sleep style with a brand-new weighted blanket cover from Gravity! These high-quality duvet covers come in all our classic colors as well as fresh new patterns and are guaranteed to revitalize any room.
Flannel Duvet Covers
The Modernist X Gravity Flannel Collection features super soft and cozy flannel duvet covers (100% cotton) in 3 new, custom-designed patterns made by Modernist's Ron Chereskin. This new Flannel collection is available for a limited time, so order while supplies last.