Aug 12, 2021
Weighted Blanket for Fibromyalgia – How It Can Help
If you or someone you know has fibromyalgia, then you already know the devastating toll this condition can have on yourself and the people you love. People with fibromyalgia often suffer from unrelenting pain, extreme fatigue, mood swings, brain fog and other symptoms that can make it difficult to live a normal, happy life.
In recent years, more and more people with fibromyalgia have been turning to a cozy solution to manage their chronic pain and sore muscles: weighted blankets. Renowned for their ability to reduce stress and promote a sense of calm, weighted blankets have become the “it” gift to give friends and family members. But can they really help people with fibromyalgia? (Hint: The answer is yes.)
Understanding Fibromyalgia Pain
Before we talk about the benefits of weighted blankets for fibromyalgia, it’s helpful to understand what fibromyalgia is and what it feels like.
In a nutshell, fibromyalgia is a rheumatic condition characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain. This pain is often accompanied by additional symptoms and conditions, including:
- Extreme fatigue
- Stiff and sore muscles
- Depression and anxiety
- Sleep problems
- Headaches and migraines
- Difficulty with concentration and memory (aka, “fibro-fog”)
- Sensitivity to cold or heat
- Restless leg syndrome
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an estimated four million American adults experience fibromyalgia. Many people with this condition describe the feeling as a burning pain or pins-and-needles sensation, or like they’re constantly battling the cold or flu. Others say that their body feels like it’s always recovering from a marathon.
In addition to these unpleasant symptoms, people with fibro often deal with heavy skepticism about their condition since doctors can’t pinpoint the exact cause of their symptoms. However, results from magnetic resonance imaging have shown that the pain and fatigue that fibromyalgia patients experience is very real.
Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Fibromyalgia
With so many doctors failing to take fibromyalgia patients seriously, it’s no wonder why more and more people with fibromyalgia are turning to weighted blankets to help them manage their symptoms. But how, exactly, can a weighted blanket help with this often misunderstood condition?
Here are five ways a weighted blanket can potentially help you manage your symptoms:
1. Eases Anxiety and Depression – Unfortunately, fibromyalgia is commonly associated with anxiety and depression. In fact, people with fibromyalgia are up to three times more likely to experience depression, according to WebMD. The good news? Weighted blankets may help ease some of your troubled thoughts. In a small study published in Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 63 percent of participants reported feeling less stressed and anxious after using a weighted blanket. Weighted blankets also trigger the release of mood-boosting chemicals such as serotonin and dopamine, making you feel more content and happy.
2. Reduce Fibromyalgia Pain – For many people with fibro, pain is often the most challenging symptom to deal with on a regular basis. Obviously, it’s not fun to be in pain all day, every day. One way to find relief is by slipping under a weighted blanket. Weighted blankets may help reduce pain by relaxing the mind and easing tension throughout the body, giving you a respite from chronic stiffness and soreness.
3. Improves Sleep Quality – Thanks to the constant pain, fatigue and mood swings, getting a quality night’s rest can be extremely difficult when you have fibromyalgia. Weighted blankets can help you achieve a better night’s rest by reducing your fibromyalgia pain and increasing serotonin, a mood-boosting chemical in the brain that plays an important role in regulating the body’s sleep-wake cycle.
4. Reduces Fatigue – Extreme fatigue and fibromyalgia go hand in hand. One way to find some relief? Snuggling with a weighted blanket. A weighted blanket may help reduce your fatigue in several different ways. First, it can help alleviate pain, which in turn reduces fatigue. This is because your body uses up a lot of energy to deal with chronic pain. Another way weighted blankets can help you feel more energized is by improving the quality of your sleep.
5. Manage Heat/Cold Intolerance – One of the less talked about symptoms of fibromyalgia is temperature insensitivity. Many people with fibromyalgia are unusually sensitive to cold, while others may be sensitive to heat. Due to their increased heft, weighted blankets are an excellent way to keep warm — particularly in the wintertime. Are you more sensitive to the heat? Not to worry. With our cooling weighted blankets, you can reap all the benefits of deep pressure stimulation while staying sweat-free.
Improve Your Days and Nights with Gravity Blankets
Fibromyalgia can be a debilitating condition, no doubt. Thankfully, weighted blankets can help improve your nights and, therefore, your days. If you’re ready to see what all the fuss is about, pick up one of our best-selling weighted blankets today. We know you’ll love the results!
Your use of this website, its content, and any products obtained through this website is at your own risk. This website, its content, and any products obtained through this website are provided on an “as is” basis, without any warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including warranties of merchantability, infringement of intellectual property, or fitness for any particular purposes. No warranty or representation is made with respect to the completeness, reliability, quality, or accuracy of this website or its content. This website, its content, and any products obtained through this website do not constitute medical treatment and is not a substitute for a medical examination or diagnosis. If you are dealing with a health condition check with your health care provider before using. This website may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn a commission on purchases made through such links. We may accept forms of advertising or sponsorships in connection with this website. There might also be paid topic insertions. We may accept and keep free products, services, and other forms of compensation from others.
You May Also Like
Duvet Covers (Single Size)
Do you already own one of our popular Gravity Weighted Blankets with microbeads and need additional removable covers for your weighted blanket? Now you can customize your sleep style with a brand-new weighted blanket cover from Gravity! These high-quality duvet covers come in all our classic colors as well as fresh new patterns and are guaranteed to revitalize any room.
Flannel Duvet Covers
The Modernist X Gravity Flannel Collection features super soft and cozy flannel duvet covers (100% cotton) in 3 new, custom-designed patterns made by Modernist's Ron Chereskin. This new Flannel collection is available for a limited time, so order while supplies last.