Nov 08, 2021
6 Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Teens
By now, you've probably heard about weighted blankets, the wellness trend that has been taking the world by storm. Weighted blankets — along with weighted robes, eye masks and other spinoff products — have surged in popularity over the years, thanks to their ability to reduce symptoms of anxiety and improve sleep in anxious, sleep-deprived adults. But did you know that teenagers can also benefit from using a weighted blanket?
From improving sleep to boosting academic performance, weighted blankets offer a host of benefits to young people. Read on to explore the many benefits of weighted blankets for teens — plus, a few tips on how to choose the best weighted blanket for your teen.
What Are the Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Teens?
Weighted blankets offer many benefits to your teen, including:
- Better Sleep – Sleep is crucial for teenagers, but it can be hard to come by for several reasons. An overwhelming schedule, a misaligned body clock and the constant pressure to do well in life are all things that can keep your teen from getting the restful slumber they need. Weighted blankets not only relax the body and mind, but they can also naturally increase levels of serotonin and melatonin (the sleep hormone) to help teens get better sleep.
- Improved Academic Performance – As a side effect of getting more sleep, you may find that your teen’s grades start improving. That’s because sleep is vital to academic performance. When teens don’t get enough sleep, they may have problems with concentration, problem-solving and memory retention. By encouraging your teen to sleep with a weighted blanket, you can help them get the quality slumber they need to succeed.
- Stress Reduction – Everyone is affected by stress, and teens are no exception. Prolonged stress can weaken the immune system, cause high blood pressure and lead to mental health problems — like anxiety and depression. If your teen is feeling bogged down by stress — whether it’s caused by school, relationships or tension at home — a weighted blanket can be a great source of comfort. Weighted blankets use the power of weight to relax the nervous system and decrease cortisol, the main hormone responsible for stress.
- Happier Outlook – Has your teen been a little moody lately? Snuggling up to a weighted blanket may help give them a boost of happiness. According to the experts, the added weight of a weighted blanket provides a similar sensation to being hugged, which triggers the release of oxytocin and other feel-good hormones.
- May Help Teens with Autism – Many children and teens with autism also struggle with sensory processing disorders that make them particularly sensitive to sensory stimulations, like noise or touch. The gentle pressure from a weighted blanket can provide a sense of comfort, helping your teen cope with anxiety caused by overstimulation.
- Low Risk – When robbed of sleep, an alarming number of teens turn to prescriptions and over-the-counter medications to help them drift off into dreamland. A national poll from C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital found that 28 percent of teens between the ages of 13 and 18 have tried some type of medication to help them sleep. These medications often carry higher risks of side effects that may be dangerous to your teen. Weighted blankets, in contrast, offer a natural solution to your teen’s sleep woes and are generally considered safe for healthy adults, teenagers and older children.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Weighted Blanket for Teens
Now that you know the amazing benefits of weighted blankets for teens, you can figure out ways to help your teen make the most of their new, snuggly companion. Step one? Choosing a weighted blanket that your teen will love and use on a regular basis.
Here are a few things you’ll want to consider when buying a weighted blanket for teens:
- Weight. Ideally, your teen’s weighted blanket should weigh approximately 10 percent of their overall body weight, give or take a few pounds. Resist the temptation to go with a heavier weight, as this may be uncomfortable or stifling for your child.
- Function. Next, consider how your teen will be using their weighted blanket. For instance, if your teen needs help getting better sleep at night, you may want to go for a weighted blanket that fits the entire length of their bed. However, if your teen prefers to snuggle with a blanket while they’re playing video games or watching television, consider a weighted throw blanket instead.
- Fabric. Does your teen sleep hot or cold? If they tend to sweat during the night, try a cooling weighted blanket. Is your teen always complaining about the cold? Opt for a toasty yet breathable option — like a chunky knit weighted blanket or a flannel duvet cover.
Helping Teens Get the Sleep They Need
As adults, we often forget just how stressful the teenage years can be. Between the academic challenges, physical changes and hormonal fluctuations, the average teenager has a lot on their plate.
While weighted blankets can’t fix every problem, they can go a long way in helping your child find a little Zen during their teenage years. Pick one up today at Gravity Blankets and give your teen the gift of better sleep!
Your use of this website, its content, and any products obtained through this website is at your own risk. This website, its content, and any products obtained through this website are provided on an “as is” basis, without any warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including warranties of merchantability, infringement of intellectual property, or fitness for any particular purposes. No warranty or representation is made with respect to the completeness, reliability, quality, or accuracy of this website or its content. This website, its content, and any products obtained through this website do not constitute medical treatment and is not a substitute for a medical examination or diagnosis. If you are dealing with a health condition check with your health care provider before using. This website may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn a commission on purchases made through such links. We may accept forms of advertising or sponsorships in connection with this website. There might also be paid topic insertions. We may accept and keep free products, services, and other forms of compensation from others.
You May Also Like
Duvet Covers (Single Size)
Do you already own one of our popular Gravity Weighted Blankets with microbeads and need additional removable covers for your weighted blanket? Now you can customize your sleep style with a brand-new weighted blanket cover from Gravity! These high-quality duvet covers come in all our classic colors as well as fresh new patterns and are guaranteed to revitalize any room.
Flannel Duvet Covers
The Modernist X Gravity Flannel Collection features super soft and cozy flannel duvet covers (100% cotton) in 3 new, custom-designed patterns made by Modernist's Ron Chereskin. This new Flannel collection is available for a limited time, so order while supplies last.