To put it simply, weighted blankets are made of a soft fabric duvet cover with an inner weighted layer containing fine-grade glass beads.
By now, you’ve probably heard all about how weighted blankets can help cuddle away racing thoughts, anxieties and insomnia, so it’s probably in your best interest to finally make the investment. But if you’re particular about certain things — feel, weight, sustainability — then you’re going to want to do a little bit of digging. What, specifically, are weighted blankets made of? How are they so cuddly and cozy? How do they get their weight, exactly? In this guide, we’ll deconstruct our best-selling weighted blanket so you can see what’s inside.Try a Weighted Blanket
The Weighted Blanket: Deconstructed
At their core, the best weighted blankets are made of two primary components: an inner weighted piece and a soft duvet cover. The inner weight is what gives the blanket its heavy comfort, while the duvet cover adds softness, warmth and style. It also makes your blanket easy to clean and customize. When shopping for weighted blankets, make sure to choose a style with a zip- or button-off duvet cover so you can easily swap it out or wash it when it gets dirty. All Gravity Blankets have this feature for your convenience.
What Are Gravity Blankets Made of?
What’s in a Gravity Blanket? Good question! While specific materials depend on the style you choose, all of our blankets are made of high-quality, easy-care fabrics to ensure that they stay in the rotation for many restful nights. A range of options are available because we know that not all fabrics suit all users. Regardless of if you choose a throw blanket, a travel blanket or a comforter for your king-sized bed, Gravity Blankets contain two key pieces.
- An inner weighted piece. The inner weighted piece is crafted from fine-grade glass beads, which ensure that it always envelops you in an even layer of comforting weight. These glass beads are housed within a layer of fabric, which features gridded stitching to keep them securely in place, ensuring uniformly distributed weight across your entire body. This piece is secured to the duvet via a zipper fastening system or ties and elastic-button connectors, depending on the style you choose.
- A soft, removable duvet. The duvet is the top layer of the weighted blanket and the component that you’ll come into contact with when you snuggle up on the couch or in bed. We offer duvets in a wide variety of materials to help you find one that feels customized to you. Be sure to browse all of our blankets and read our product descriptions to learn more about each one before making your selection. Here’s a quick breakdown of options for your consideration:
- 100% velboa plush, used in the Original Gravity Blanket. This soft material is a type of faux fur which is soft to the touch yet tough and durable and easy to clean, so it will withstand many nights of use.
- 87% polyester, 13% spandex, used in our first-generation Cooling Gravity Blanket. This is a great choice for hot sleepers because it’s breathable, moisture-wicking and stays cool to the touch.
- 100% polyester, used in our latest Cooling Gravity Blanket. This comfy technical fabric is extremely breathable and perfect for hot sleepers.
- 77% acrylic, 23% polyester, used in our Faux Fur Duvet Cover. We don’t believe in hurting animals to make blankets, but this acrylic-polyester blend is the closest we could get to soft, luxurious fur. Totally cruelty-free!
Check Out the Gravity Blanket
Weighted Blankets, Made Just for You
While some weighted blanket companies use plastic beads and other questionable materials inside their products, Gravity Blankets is committed to using glass beads in ours for a more eco-friendly option. We want to ensure that we offer a broad range of materials, sizes and styles for every user. If you have any specific questions about how we make our weighted blankets, feel free to reach out to us and we’ll gladly provide you with the info you need.